Nearly 700 African nationals deported in 2013 from Delhi
New Delhi: Around half of the African nationals deported last year from Delhi due to lack of proper documents were from the jurisdiction of Malviya Nagar police station, SHO of which was sent on leave pending investigation for allegedly not cooperating with Law Minister Somnath Bharti during his midnight raid in South Delhi.
According to police, 318 people, belonging to various African countries were deported in 2013 from Malviya Nagar area in the absence of legal documents like proper visa and passport.
"The number for entire Delhi stands somewhere around 700," a senior police official said.
Most of these African nationals visit India on tourist, study and medical visa and many of them overstay even after their visas expire.
"Other police stations, which feature prominently on the list, include Neb Sarai and Vasant Vihar which also fall under South district police," a police official said.
Incidentally, Inspector Vijay Pal, who was sent on leave pending investigation for refusing to raid an alleged drug and prostitution ring at a house inhabited by Ugandan and African national on the orders of Bharti, had joined as SHO of Malviya Nagar police station in January last year and it was during his tenure that concentrated efforts were made against those living illegally in the area.
Pal and PCR van in-charge of Paharganj, where a Danish woman was gangraped last week, were sent on leave following Chief Minster Arvind Kejriwal`s two-day dharna under a neat compromise with the Centre over his demand for suspension of five officials for alleged dereliction of duty.
Kejriwal had termed the decision as a "victory" achieved by the people of Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you