Nearly 800 challaned for drunk driving
New Delhi: Around 800 people were on Thursday
challaned for driving under the influence of alcohol, during a
special drive on the occasion of Holi.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Satyendra Garg
said no major accident was reported during the day.
"A large number of violations were detected including 777
drunken driving cases till 5 pm," he said.
"I have been in Delhi for nearly 25 years and found
overall discipline level the best today. I want to compliment
people of Delhi," he said.
Police had made elaborate traffic arrangements to ensure
safety of motorists on roads and check incidents of drunken
driving, over-speeding, dangerous driving, triple riding,
minor driving, driving and riding without helmet and other
Special checking teams with alcometers were deployed at
major intersections to detect and prosecute violations.
Last year on the day of Holi, 7,957 people were
prosecuted for various traffic offences.
200 Traffic Police special checking teams were spread all
over Delhi to check drunken driving. Last year, a total of
18,073 motorists were prosecuted for drunken driving of which
2,960 were given jail terms and 2,212 driving licenses were
In the run up to Holi, Traffic Police had conducted a
special drive against drunken driving and had caught 775 drunk
drivers in the past six days.
Last year, a total of 7,956 people, including 624 for
drunken driving, 815 for triple riding and 2686 for riding
motorcycle without helmet, were challaned for various
violations forcing them to shell out Rs 7.88 lakh as fine.
In 2010, 5,300 people were challaned.
The special drive, police claimed, had its effect as the
number of fatal accidents came down to five last year compared
to 2010`s 15. Seven persons, including a couple, were killed
in accidents this year as against 15 last year.
Between 2000 and 2011, 165 people have lost their lives
on the day of Holi with 2006 topping the list with 22 killed
in 20 accidents.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement