Need for educating prisoners: Manmohan Singh
New Delhi: Noting that prisoners lack understanding of their rights, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday said there was a need for increasing their awareness and advocated the need for educating them.
In a message to Bar Council of Delhi which is launching a National Campaign for Legal Awareness among prisoners from tomorrow, Singh said like other citizens of the country, a prisoner is also entitled to basic human rights both under national as well as international human rights laws.
"Most of the prison inmates in our country lack understanding their rights. It is, therefore, very important that we increase awareness among them in this area," Singh said.
He said he was confident that the Bar Council initiative will contribute to ensuring fundamental human rights of the prisoners and detainees.
"I extend my greetings and felicitations to the organisers and participants of the campaign and wish it all success," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'