Neeraj Kumar will be new Delhi Police chief
New Delhi: Director General of Tihar prisons Neeraj Kumar will be the new Commissioner of Delhi Police succeeding BK Gupta who retires on June 30.
The appointment of Kumar, a 1976-batch IPS officer from AGMU cadre, came barely a week before his birthday when he turns 59.
Reacting to his new assignment, Kumar said that it was a matter of "a great honour and I will try hard to fulfill the expectations".
Kumar, who has held various important posts during his career, which includes in Central Bureau of Investigation, will take over as the Commissioner of Delhi Police on June 30.
Gupta retires after remaining Delhi Police Commissioner since November 10, 2010.
The name of Kumar was cleared by Union Home Minister P Chidambaram today, official sources said.
During his career spanning 36 years, Kumar has worked on several important cases which include deportation of Aftab Ansari from Dubai in 2002. Ansari was the main accused in the shooting at the American Center in Kolkata.
Before taking over as the head of Tihar, Asia`s largest prison, Kumar successfully handled security arrangement of the sporting mega event Commonwealth Games here in 2010 as Special Commissioner (Headquarters).
Kumar had started his stint in Delhi Police as ACP of Chanakyapuri in 1979.
A post graduate from prestigious St Stephen`s College, the IPS officer had served in the Central Bureau of Investigation during which he probed Mumbai serial blasts.
He was also the brain behind exposing the alleged nexus between an Enforcement Directorate official and an arms dealer who were blackmailing a jeweller.
At Delhi Police, Kumar had also headed the special cell as Joint Commissioner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing