Nehru place shops shut to protest civic apathy
New Delhi: 2,000 shops, retailers and offices
at Nehru Place on Wednesday kept their shutters down to protest
alleged neglect of the bustling market in south Delhi by the
The area wore a deserted look as after shops and offices
located there closed down in reponse to a call from five
associations in support of their demands of a safer,
cleaner and regulated work environment.
"We shall continue to ask for the pride of place that
Nehru Place had come to deserve as a commercial hub adding Rs
1,000 crore annually to the government revenues," said Anil K
Sehgal, president of Nehru Place Improvement and Welfare
A statement from the association said that the working
group of the `Nehru Place Bachao` would continue to bring up
issues with various bodies till they are completely resolved.
"Business and trading community from city`s busiest
commercial hub will continue its `Nehru Place Bachao` campaign
kicked off as a peaceful protest here today," the statement
The core committee of the associations also decided to
support move by the government to check unregulated hawking.
Nehru Place is dubbed as Asia`s biggest computer hardware
and peripherals distribution hub but has been suffering from
"deteriorating civic amenities."
Designed to be one of the most modern complexes by Delhi
Development Authority (DDA) in the 1970s, Nehru Place has over
the years turned into one of the filthiest markets in the
national capital, especially during rains.
About 12,500 people engaged in 1,283 businesses and
offices in Nehru Place who have signed a plea to Lt Governor
of Delhi to save this burgeoning business hub, stayed away
from work and participated in the peaceful protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'