Neighbour acquitted of charge of sexually assaulting minor in Delhi
New Delhi: A man, who was accused of sexually assaulting and harassing his 11-year-old neighbour, has been acquitted by a Delhi court which held that the child was not a "reliable witness" as she changed her statement.
Additional Sessions Judge Rajneesh Kumar Gupta acquitted the west Delhi resident of the charges of sexually harassing and assaulting a child under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act and IPC.
The court said that the minor girl, who was the only witness, changed her statement during cross-examination before it and was not a reliable witness.
"The girl deposed contradictory to the alleged incident in her testimony. In these circumstances, her evidence does not inspire confidence as she is not a reliable witness.
"Accordingly, the prosecution has failed to prove its case beyond reasonable doubt against the accused, hence he is acquitted of the charges," the judge said.
According to the prosecution, on April 4, 2013, the girl had gone out of the house to meet her friend when the man caught hold of her and sexually assaulted her.
She escaped his clutches and informed her mother about the incident after which they lodged a complaint against him at Tilak Nagar Police Station.
The girl, however, resiled from her statement in her cross examination and said that the man had not sexually harassed her.
She told the court that he was under the influence of alcohol and had come only to talk to her about something. She said that he had never misbehaved with her and she had lodged the FIR due to some misunderstanding.
The man had denied the allegations levelled against him in the case and pleaded innocence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey