New-born girl`s body found in west Delhi dump
New Delhi: In what appears to be a case of female infanticide, the body of a new-born girl was recovered from a dump in the national capital on Thursday.
The body, discarded in a garbage dump in west Delhi`s Bharat Nagar area, had been bundled into a polythene bag. The bag caught the attention of locals when street dogs started dragging it.
People passing by located the bag and informed police Thursday morning.
"The body of the child was discovered early at around 8.30 am in the morning when a passerby in Delhi`s Bharat Nagar area suddenly saw street dogs barking and fighting over a packed polythene bag. On close inspection, parts of the newborn were seen," a police officer said.
While the family or the identity of the child has yet to be ascertained, police officials said that some hospital documents have been found in the dump.
Police will wait for 72 hours before conducting a post-mortem to give time to the parents of the child to claim the body.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez