New Delhi district saw record protests during Parl session
New Delhi: The high-security New Delhi district witnessed over 350 demonstrations during the 33-day-long Monsoon Session of Parliament, the highest in the past 37 years.
Security forces where kept on their toes during the entire stretch of the session with more than 10 protests being staged in the vicinity of the Parliament every day.
According to official records maintained by Delhi Police, there were as many as 353 demonstrations, rallies and protests between August 5 and September 7 in New Delhi district which was the highest ever since 1976.
In 2012, the number stood at 210 while it was 218 in 2011. In 2010, the number was registered at 161. Before this, the number always remained somewhere around the 200 figure mark.
"Other then Jantar Mantar and Parliament Street, there are a number of spots where protests take place and at times, simultaneously. The hotspots include India Gate, Vijay Chowk, US and Chinese Embassies, Pakistan High Commission, 10 Janpath, 7 RCR among others," said a police official.
One has to obtain a prior permission from police before holding such demonstrations, but at times, people turn up without information. From Telangana to Asaram Bapu and from reservation to seeking a high court bench, everyone come and protest here, the official said.
According to another official, who deals with the deployment of police forces to maintain law and order in the high-security zone, 256 companies of Delhi Police were deployed during the entire 33-day period.
"Every company has 75 personnel. In normal days, we have 6-9 companies for New Delhi district. During the Parliament session we regularly get 5 additional companies to be deployed in three shifts. On days of heavy deployment, the number swells up to 20 companies a day," he said.
The Monsoon Session also saw several violent protests during which 48 police personnel and 86 protesters were injured. Police registered cases in four instances at Parliament Street police station during this period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video