New Delhi district saw record protests during Parl session
New Delhi: The high-security New Delhi district witnessed over 350 demonstrations during the 33-day-long Monsoon Session of Parliament, the highest in the past 37 years.
Security forces where kept on their toes during the entire stretch of the session with more than 10 protests being staged in the vicinity of the Parliament every day.
According to official records maintained by Delhi Police, there were as many as 353 demonstrations, rallies and protests between August 5 and September 7 in New Delhi district which was the highest ever since 1976.
In 2012, the number stood at 210 while it was 218 in 2011. In 2010, the number was registered at 161. Before this, the number always remained somewhere around the 200 figure mark.
"Other then Jantar Mantar and Parliament Street, there are a number of spots where protests take place and at times, simultaneously. The hotspots include India Gate, Vijay Chowk, US and Chinese Embassies, Pakistan High Commission, 10 Janpath, 7 RCR among others," said a police official.
One has to obtain a prior permission from police before holding such demonstrations, but at times, people turn up without information. From Telangana to Asaram Bapu and from reservation to seeking a high court bench, everyone come and protest here, the official said.
According to another official, who deals with the deployment of police forces to maintain law and order in the high-security zone, 256 companies of Delhi Police were deployed during the entire 33-day period.
"Every company has 75 personnel. In normal days, we have 6-9 companies for New Delhi district. During the Parliament session we regularly get 5 additional companies to be deployed in three shifts. On days of heavy deployment, the number swells up to 20 companies a day," he said.
The Monsoon Session also saw several violent protests during which 48 police personnel and 86 protesters were injured. Police registered cases in four instances at Parliament Street police station during this period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 50 seats, BJP in 32; big prestige battle for both parties
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai and Thane, BJP gains lead in Pune, Nagpur, Solapur; NCP wins 4 seats in Ulhasnagar