New Delhi MP Lekhi named NDMC chairperson
New Delhi: BJP leader and Lok Sabha MP Meenakshi Lekhi today took over as the chairperson of the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC).
An official notification regarding the appointment of the New Delhi MP as chairperson of NDMC was received from the Home Ministry late yesterday.
Lekhi takes over from Jalaj Srivastava, a 1984-batch IAS officer who was appointed the NDMC chairperson in August last year.
Lekhi will be the second MP to be part of the Council after amendments were made in the NDMC Act in 2011. Before Lekhi, the Congress MP from New Delhi, Ajay Maken, was its member.
As per the 2011 amendment, the MP and MLA of the New Delhi Lok Sabha and Assembly constituency automatically become members of the council.
The area under NDMC`s jurisdiction comprises the territory known as Lutyen`s Delhi and covers the VIP zone that houses the seat of authority in the national capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report