New smart card system introduced in Tihar prisons
New Delhi: Tihar officials on Monday introduced
a smart card system for its inmates which will serve the dual
purpose of a food coupon and help in checking illegal
activities inside the jail premises.
Earlier, some inmates were found to have misused food
coupons for procuring banned substances like tobacco and
exchange it to get favours from fellow inmates.
"This smart card has been introduced so that it is used
by inmates for the purpose with which it has been conceived.
Food worth upto Rs 1,500 can be brought with this card. There
will be an electronic record of each rupee that an inmate
spends inside the jail. It cannot be used for illegal
activities," Spokesperson of Tihar Prisons, Sunil Gupta said.
"The food coupon that was there earlier was like a
currency note. Inmates would give it to interested parties and
in return take wrong favours from them. But they cannot do the
same now with the smart card. This card comes with a
substantial amount and can be recharged only after a week," he
The canteens, located inside the 10 sub-jails, offer
breakfast and other meals, apart from commodities such as
combs, oil. Trained convicts manage these canteens.
"This will bring transparency in all transactions related
to payments and purchases at the canteens inside the jail.
Complains of losing the coupon or the coupon getting
destroyed will come to an end," Gupta said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!