New water policy by next year: Bansal
New Delhi: Pawan Kumar Bansal, who took over
as Minister of Water Resources on Wednesday, said the government will
come out with a new water policy next year even as he would
strive to implement linking of intra-state rivers.
Bansal, who returned to the Water Resources ministry after
a gap of six months, said his ministry would bring out the
latest National Water Policy by March 31 next year.
India`s current National Water Policy was adopted way back
in 2002 and national-level consultations are midway to
formulate the next policy based on increased population and
rising levels of water pollution.
The consultations would now take place at the level of
Panchayati Raj institutions.
Pointing out that the National River Linking Project has
to overcome issues relating to existing constitutional and
legal provisions as well as Centre-state relations, Bansal
said his ministry would focus on intra-state linking of rivers
as a part of integrated management of river basins.
He said it would help provide equal share of water to
various parts of a state.
Regarding interlinking of rivers at the national level, he
said the ministry will take forward the Ken-Betwa link to
which the governments of UP and MP have given their assent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump will not ask donors to repay nearly $50 million in campaign loans
- 78 dead, 500 hurt by storms in eastern China
- Brexit poll: In or out? British bookmakers see more bets placed on Britain staying in European Union
- Day after 30 cows found dead, police chalks out plan to prevent smuggling
- Mathura violence: Two security staff of Ram Vriksh Yadav arrested