NGO funding: Court rejects plea for FIR against Khurshids
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Wednesday dismissed a plea seeking registration of an FIR against Union Minister Salman Khurshid and his wife Louise for alleged criminal misappropriation of funds meant for a family-run trust, saying it has no "territorial jurisdiction".
Metropolitan Magistrate Saumya Chauhan rejected the petition of Tajinder Pal Singh Bagga, president of a Delhi- based youth organisation Bhagat Singh Kranti Sena, saying he should file the case before a court in Uttar Pradesh.
"... The court is of the view that this court does not have the territorial jurisdiction to try and decide the present case.
"Hence, the complaint is returned to the complainant (Bagga) with the advice that he should file the case before proper court which can try the same," the court said, adding that Bagga should file the complaint in Uttar Pradesh.
The order came on a petition by Bagga, who alleged that the Khurshids had misappropriated funds worth over Rs 71 lakh meant for Dr Zakir Hussain Memorial Trust.
In his petition, Bagga has sought the court`s directions to the Jamia Nagar police station in South Delhi to lodge an FIR against the Khurshids and hold an inquiry into the alleged misappropriation of funds.
The judge, however, shot down Bagga`s request saying neither the court can order nor the Jamia Nagar police station has territorial jurisdiction to register case against the respondents (the Khurshids).
The judge, in a three-page order, also said Bagga can file the case before a proper court in Uttar Pradesh as the said crime took place there and the issue related to the misappropriation of funds also happened there.
Bagga had pleaded the court to direct the police to lodge an FIR against Khurshid and Louise under various provisions of Indian Penal Code related to cheating, forgery, using false documents in judicial proceedings and under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read