NHRC asks Delhi govt to pay Rs 1L in medical negligence case
New Delhi: The National Human Rights
Commission has asked the Delhi government to pay Rs one lakh
as monetary relief to the family of a youth who died due to
"medical negligence" at a state-run hospital here.
It recommended the payment of compensation to the next of
kin of 17-year-old Pappu, "who died due to negligence on part
of the doctors of Guru Gobind Singh Government Hospital in
Delhi" last year, the rights panel said today.
It has also directed the Delhi Chief Secretary to submit
a compliance report to it along with proof of payment.
The NHRC had taken up the case on a complaint filed by
Deepak, the brother of the deceased.
The complaint said that Pappu underwent a surgery for
hernia at Guru Gobind hospital on January 17, 2010. "However,
his condition deteriorated after the surgery and the doctors
failed to attend to him promptly. Pappu breathed his last on
the same day at 8.30 pm," it said citing the complaint.
On consideration of various reports and material on
record, the commission found that Pappu lost his life due to
negligence on part of the doctors.
"The autopsy surgeon in his report indicated medical
negligence and sought to refer the case to the Delhi Medical
Council. The DMC found that after the surgery there was
continuous bleeding in the peritoneal cavity. However, the
doctors failed to take appropriate action in time on
complications associated with blood loss, which resulted in
the death of the patient," the NHRC said.
It said as the doctors were government functionaries, the
state is liable for their "acts and omissions" and has to
compensate the next of kin of the deceased.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!