NHRC blames Tihar for undertrial`s death
New Delhi: Observing that "lapses" by Tihar Jail led to the death of an ailing undertrial prisoner in 2011, the National Human Rights Commission today recommended payment of Rs three lakh interim relief to the next of his kin.
"The NHRC observes lapse of Tihar Jail authorities led to the death of an under trial prisoner and recommends Rs three lakh as relief to family," an NHRC statement said.
The statement said the Commission was "not satisfied" with the contention of Tihar Jail authorities and held that grant of interim relief was "justified on the ground of administrative lapse in not providing" specialised medical treatment to the prisoner.
The under trial prisoner Mohd Irshad died on November 28, 2011 in Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Hospital.
The Commission has recommended that the Delhi Government pay Rs 3 lakhs as an interim relief to the next of kin of the deceased and send the proof of payment to the Commission within four weeks from the date of receipt of its directions, it said.
"The points raised in the show cause notice have not been replied by the Prison Authorities. The deceased was scheduled to be taken to the AIIMS on three occasions on 27.10.2011, 09.11.2011 and 22.11.2011 but the scheduled visits were cancelled due to non-availability of ambulance.
"The prison authorities have also not stated as to why the deceased was referred to the Emergency of the Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Hospital instead of being taken to the AIIMS," the Commission said.
All these points were also raised by the Metropolitan Magistrate in his report and had held that the authorities moved casually despite having the knowledge that the under trial prisoner required specialised treatment, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row