NHRC blames Tihar for undertrial`s death
New Delhi: Observing that "lapses" by Tihar Jail led to the death of an ailing undertrial prisoner in 2011, the National Human Rights Commission today recommended payment of Rs three lakh interim relief to the next of his kin.
"The NHRC observes lapse of Tihar Jail authorities led to the death of an under trial prisoner and recommends Rs three lakh as relief to family," an NHRC statement said.
The statement said the Commission was "not satisfied" with the contention of Tihar Jail authorities and held that grant of interim relief was "justified on the ground of administrative lapse in not providing" specialised medical treatment to the prisoner.
The under trial prisoner Mohd Irshad died on November 28, 2011 in Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Hospital.
The Commission has recommended that the Delhi Government pay Rs 3 lakhs as an interim relief to the next of kin of the deceased and send the proof of payment to the Commission within four weeks from the date of receipt of its directions, it said.
"The points raised in the show cause notice have not been replied by the Prison Authorities. The deceased was scheduled to be taken to the AIIMS on three occasions on 27.10.2011, 09.11.2011 and 22.11.2011 but the scheduled visits were cancelled due to non-availability of ambulance.
"The prison authorities have also not stated as to why the deceased was referred to the Emergency of the Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Hospital instead of being taken to the AIIMS," the Commission said.
All these points were also raised by the Metropolitan Magistrate in his report and had held that the authorities moved casually despite having the knowledge that the under trial prisoner required specialised treatment, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal