NHRC for night courts to tackle jail overcrowding
New Delhi: To tackle overcrowding in prisons across the country, the National Human Rights Commission has suggested holding of night courts in jails for trial of petty offences.
NHRC Chairperson KG Balakrishnan said various strategies could be employed to bring down the prison population like ensuring that police does not make any arrest indiscriminately and also providing legal aid to the poor.
He said the number of under trial prisoners is very high in India and there is no other country which have such a count in its jails.
Convicts may be in large numbers but not under trial prisoners, he said.
"In jails itself, there could be some courts so that petty offences could be tried. The timing could be between 4 pm and 8 pm. Some incentive should be provided to the magistrates.
"Earlier, there were evening courts in some places. One third of the basic was given as incentive to magistrates. Only young lawyers less than seven years were allowed to appear," Balakrishnan said.
He said there can be some facility for court in the prison itself. "Even witnesses would love to come in the evening so that they don`t lose their wages," he said.
The jails in the country are bursting at the seams, with the NCRB statistics showing that 3,68,998 prisoners are lodged in the country`s 1,393 prisons as against their capacity of 3,20,450 inmates. The occupancy rate was 115.1 per cent in 2010.
Balakrishnan said sometimes people are unnecessarily incarcerated. "But after long trial, they are acquitted," he said.
"Another issue is that poor people, who get bail from courts, are not able to produce sureties. They are not able to get out of prisons. Such people should be released on some personal bond," he suggested.
However, Balakrishnan said it will be difficult if these people are accused of heinous crimes. He suggested that others should be given bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre