NHRC notice to Delhi govt, MCD, pvt firm in boy drowning case
New Delhi: The National Human Rights
Commission (NHRC) has asked the Delhi government, MCD and a
private healthcare group to submit reports within four weeks
on the death of a boy who drowned in an open pit near a
hospital construction site here.
The rights body has taken suo motu cognizance of a media
report on the death of 12-year-old Abhishek and issued notices
to the three.
The boy, a student of class IV, was playing with his
friends near the construction site of Max Super Speciality
Hospital in Haidarpur village on February 19 when the mishap
“According to the report carried on the February 21...he
(Abhishek) slipped and fell into a 12 ft deep pit which had no
boundary wall and no watchman to caution the people," the
Commission said in a statement today.
It was also reported that a case under Section 304(A) of
IPC has been registered at the Shalimar Bagh Police Station
against the hospital authorities -- Max Healthcare Institute
Ltd -- for causing death due to negligence, the NHRC noted.
"The contents of the press report, if true, raise serious
issues of violation of human rights of the deceased due to
negligence of the hospital authorities, the government of NCT
of Delhi and the Municipal Corporation of Delhi for not
ensuring safety precautions and construction guidelines," the
Accordingly, it has issued notices to the Chief
Secretary, Delhi government, the Commissioner, MCD and the
Director of Max Healthcare Institute Ltd "calling for their
reports in the matter within four weeks".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre