NHRC notice to Delhi govt on drinking water supply
New Delhi: The National Human Rights
Commission has sought a reply from Delhi government, taking
suo motu cognizance of a media report claiming that out of 53
samples of drinking water taken from various areas in the city
by an NGO, only two were found potable.
Issuing a notice to the Delhi Chief Secretary and Delhi
Jal Board Chairman, the Commission has directed them to submit
their report in this regard within four weeks, the NHRC said
in a statement here.
A report, published in a newspaper, had claimed that
drinking water supplied by the Delhi Jal Board contained
"harmful substances", the Commission noted.
It had also claimed that the levels of faecal
contamination, fluoride and arsenic were above the permissible
limit in many areas.
"The report, carried on 19th May, 2010, was based on the
samples collected by `Hazard Centre`," the Commission said.
It had alleged that out of 53 samples of drinking water
taken from various areas in Delhi by the NGO, only two were
"Considering the contents of the media report as
distressing, the Commission observed on the May 20 that if
these are true then it is a serious issue of violation of
human rights of the people of Delhi," the NHRC said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!