NHRC notice to Delhi govt over man`s death in manhole
New Delhi: Taking cognizance of a complaint
which accused the authorities of "criminal negligence" in the
death of a man by falling into an open manhole here, the NHRC
has issued a notice to the Delhi government and called for a
report about the incident.
The rights body issued notice to Delhi chief secretary
yesterday asking him to submit a report within four weeks,
underlining that in default it may proceed to take action on
the basis of the complaint as it would deem proper.
A city-based rights activist and lawyer Radhakanta
Tripathy had filed a complaint with the Commission alleging
that one Devender Prasad (45) died by falling into a manhole
in East Delhi`s Ramnagar area recently due to "criminal
negligence" of the government agencies.
Tripathy alleged that after the incident, neither any
action was taken against the "errant" officials of MCD nor
the manhole was covered to prevent such incident.
Asking NHRC to intervene in the matter, Tripathy also
alleged in his complaint that the dependents of Prasad, who is
survived by three daughters and wife, were not given any
Referring to media reports, Tripathy said the deceased
was the only earning member of his family. His elder daughter
(21) is a final-year student of Delhi University. Prasad`s
second daughter is appearing in her class X exam while the
younger daughter is in class VII.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata