NHRC notice to Gurgaon police chief on rape, murder of girls
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Thursday issued a notice to the Gurgaon Police Commissioner and sought a report on the rising incidents of kidnapping, rape and murder of girl children in the area.
According to an official statement today, the notice was issued after NHRC took suo motu cognisance of a media report that an 11-year-old girl was raped and murdered merely four days after a two-year-old girl`s kidnapping and rape in Haryana`s Gurgaon.
The notice to the Gurgaon Commissioner calls for a report in the matter within four weeks.
The commission has observed that the contents of the newspaper report, if true, raise an issue of the state`s failure to protect its subjects, particularly the girl child, who are being kidnapped, raped and murdered.
He has also been asked to submit an action plan for the protection of such vulnerable groups.
According to the said media report, the 11-year-old girl, daughter of a washerman, had gone to deliver the last set of ironed clothes in Sector 27 of Gurgaon, but did not return.
Her body was found 10 hours later near an abandoned flat in Sector 29, 100m away from the place where the girl had gone to deliver the clothes. Police suspect the girl was first raped before being murdered and that more than one person was involved in the crime.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata