NHRC notice to Gurgaon police chief on rape, murder of girls
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Thursday issued a notice to the Gurgaon Police Commissioner and sought a report on the rising incidents of kidnapping, rape and murder of girl children in the area.
According to an official statement today, the notice was issued after NHRC took suo motu cognisance of a media report that an 11-year-old girl was raped and murdered merely four days after a two-year-old girl`s kidnapping and rape in Haryana`s Gurgaon.
The notice to the Gurgaon Commissioner calls for a report in the matter within four weeks.
The commission has observed that the contents of the newspaper report, if true, raise an issue of the state`s failure to protect its subjects, particularly the girl child, who are being kidnapped, raped and murdered.
He has also been asked to submit an action plan for the protection of such vulnerable groups.
According to the said media report, the 11-year-old girl, daughter of a washerman, had gone to deliver the last set of ironed clothes in Sector 27 of Gurgaon, but did not return.
Her body was found 10 hours later near an abandoned flat in Sector 29, 100m away from the place where the girl had gone to deliver the clothes. Police suspect the girl was first raped before being murdered and that more than one person was involved in the crime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!