NHRC notice to TN govt on Dalit boy abuse case
New Delhi: The National Human Rights
Commission has asked the Tamil Nadu government to submit a
report within four weeks on the alleged thrashing of a Dalit
boy for fetching water from a public tap.
It has also asked the government what steps are being
taken to prevent "such acts of discrimination against Dalits".
The NHRC said it has taken suo motu cognisance of a
media report alleging that the boy, A Vasanthakumar, was not
only stopped from taking water from a tap located at
Karikkilipalayam by three women of another community but was
also abused by "caste names".
"When he protested, the three women and one P
Damodaran Chettiyar beat him up. He had to be admitted in
Annur hospital, which is about 25 km away from Coimbatore. It
was also reported that the village where the victim resides is
reeling under extreme water scarcity," the Commission said
citing the media report.
According to the report, Dalits are prevented from
cutting hair at saloons in the locality and from using mobile
phones outside their huts in the area, it noted.
Considering the matter, the Commission observed that
if the contents of the report are true then these raise a
serious issue of violation of human rights as well as
provisions of the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes
(Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989. It issued notice to the
chief secretary, Tamil Nadu, calling for a report in the
matter to the Commission within four weeks.
The chief secretary has also been asked to inform the
commission whether any criminal case has been registered
against the accused and whether any relief has been given to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe