NHRC notice to TN govt on Dalit boy abuse case
New Delhi: The National Human Rights
Commission has asked the Tamil Nadu government to submit a
report within four weeks on the alleged thrashing of a Dalit
boy for fetching water from a public tap.
It has also asked the government what steps are being
taken to prevent "such acts of discrimination against Dalits".
The NHRC said it has taken suo motu cognisance of a
media report alleging that the boy, A Vasanthakumar, was not
only stopped from taking water from a tap located at
Karikkilipalayam by three women of another community but was
also abused by "caste names".
"When he protested, the three women and one P
Damodaran Chettiyar beat him up. He had to be admitted in
Annur hospital, which is about 25 km away from Coimbatore. It
was also reported that the village where the victim resides is
reeling under extreme water scarcity," the Commission said
citing the media report.
According to the report, Dalits are prevented from
cutting hair at saloons in the locality and from using mobile
phones outside their huts in the area, it noted.
Considering the matter, the Commission observed that
if the contents of the report are true then these raise a
serious issue of violation of human rights as well as
provisions of the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes
(Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989. It issued notice to the
chief secretary, Tamil Nadu, calling for a report in the
matter to the Commission within four weeks.
The chief secretary has also been asked to inform the
commission whether any criminal case has been registered
against the accused and whether any relief has been given to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31