NHRC registers 6000 intimations of custodial deaths in 3 years
New Delhi: The National Human Rights
Commission has registered more than 6000 intimations of
custodial deaths in the country in the last three years.
"The number of cases registered by the National Human
Rights Commission (NHRC) during the last three years in
respect of intimations regarding custodial deaths are 2267 in
2007-08, 1943 in 2008-09 and 1794 in 2009-10," Minister of
State for Home Ajay Maken told Lok Sabha today in a written
The total figure for all the three years stands at
Maken replied with a "no" to a question on whether the
government proposes to constitute a task force to look into
the overall condition of the undertrials in custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users