NHRC registers 6000 intimations of custodial deaths in 3 years
New Delhi: The National Human Rights
Commission has registered more than 6000 intimations of
custodial deaths in the country in the last three years.
"The number of cases registered by the National Human
Rights Commission (NHRC) during the last three years in
respect of intimations regarding custodial deaths are 2267 in
2007-08, 1943 in 2008-09 and 1794 in 2009-10," Minister of
State for Home Ajay Maken told Lok Sabha today in a written
The total figure for all the three years stands at
Maken replied with a "no" to a question on whether the
government proposes to constitute a task force to look into
the overall condition of the undertrials in custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Parliament deadlock: BJP says blame Sonia if Monsoon Session washed out, calls Congress 'confused'
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites