NIA claims Samjahuta bombers behind Sunil Joshi murder
New Delhi: In a new twist to the case relating to sensational murder of right wing activist Sunil Joshi, the NIA on Wednesday alleged Lokesh Sharma and Rajendra Chowdhary, accused in Malegaon and Samjhauta Express blast cases, had killed him.
An NIA team probing seven cases related to right wing terror case, arrested one Balveer from Indore yesterday for allegedly being part of the conspiracy to eliminate Joshi, sources in the agency said.
The sources said the apparent reason for killing Joshi, who was allegedly the mastermind of Samjhauta and Malegaon 2006 attacks, was his misbehaviour and attempt to outrage the modesty of a woman member of his group.
However, the NIA was trying to corroborate the statements of the accused separately.
Balveer is believed to be a close associate of Lokesh Sharma who is a suspect in Samjhauta Express bombings and attack on the life of Delhi University lecturer S A R Geelani who was arrested and later acquitted in connection with Parliament attack case, they said.
The NIA team has recovered a magazine of a 9mm pistol from him which has been sent for forensic analysis. Joshi was also killed with the bullet of a similar pistol on December 29, 2007, they said.
The NIA probe had so far has indicated that Sharma and Chowdhary had allegedly killed Joshi who led the right wing extremist group that vowed to avenge the attacks by jihadi terrorists in the country.
However, the duo have not been arrested in the case so far.
Madhya Pradesh police, which were initially probing the case, had even filed a chargesheet against five accused but the NIA suspects that Joshi was killed to stop him from surrendering before the competent court.
The case was handed over to the NIA after his killing was linked to terror plot hatched by right wing extremists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday