NIA files chargesheet in Delhi HC blast case

Last Updated: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 15:51

New Delhi: The National Investigation Agency
(NIA) on Tuesday filed a chargesheet in a court here against six
persons in the September 7, 2011 Delhi High Court blast case
in which 17 people were killed and over 90 were injured.

The probe agency filed its 1062-page chargesheet before
District Judge H S Sharma during an in-chamber proceeding
against arrested accused Amir Abbas Dev, Wasim Akram Malik and
a minor besides three others who are still absconding.

According to the court sources, the NIA said besides the
three arrested accused, the charge sheet named Junaid Malik,
Amir Kamal and Chota Hafeez as accused in the case.

The NIA told the court that they have initiated the
process of issuing proclamation against the three persons who
are evading arrest, the sources said.

Dev and Wasim are behind bars since their arrest by the
NIA sleuths for their alleged roles in the case.

Wasim has been dubbed by the NIA as a `key link` in the
conspiracy for the blast at gate 5 of the High Court.

According to the NIA, information about Wasim was given
by Azhar Ali, a Hizbul Mujahideen module, who is lodged in
Jammu`s Kotbalwal Jail since 2009.

During the investigation, the NIA had seized three mobile
phones from Jammu and Kishtwar residences of Wasim, a Jammu
and Kashmir native studying Unani medicine in Bangladesh.

Dev, a native of Jammu and Kashmir, was arrested on
September 16 last year by the NIA after he was allegedly found
to have sent terror e-mails to media groups after the blast.

A magistrate had earlier recorded Dev`s statement under
Section 164 of the CrPC in an in-camera proceeding.

A statement recorded by a magistrate under section 164 of
the CrPC bars an accused from resiling from his depositions
during the trial and make him liable for prosecution for
perjury if he does so.

PTI



First Published: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 15:51

comments powered by Disqus