Nido Tania murder case: Court takes cognizance of charge sheet
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Saturday took cognizance of the charge sheet filed against seven accused in the Nido Tania murder case and asked the agency to provide copies of the final report to the four adult accused on the next date of hearing.
Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Pritam Singh directed the CBI to supply the copies of the charge sheet and other documents annexed with it to the four adult accused on
May 7 in connection with the death of 19-year-old Arunachal Pradesh student Nido Tania.
The matter against the three juveniles will be sent to the Juvenile Justice Board.
CBI has dropped murder charges on the accused allegedly involved in the death of Tania, son of an Arunachal Pradesh MLA, on the ground that his killing was not premeditated but
a result of altercation over breaking of glass counter.
The charge sheet was filed by the CBI yesterday against seven people, including three juveniles, in the case.
CBI has filed the charge sheet for the offences of culpable homicide, illegal confinement under the IPC and the provisions of the SC/ST Atrocities Act against Farman, Pawan,
Sunder Singh and Sunny Uppal, who are currently in judicial custody.
Earlier, the accused were booked for the offence of murder by the Delhi Police but the CBI dropped the murder charge in its charge sheet.
The case was transferred to CBI from Delhi Police for further investigation after the victim`s parents had met Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and Congress vice-president
Rahul Gandhi, demanding speedy justice for Tania.
They had alleged police negligence in the case and also demanded action against the guilty personnel.
The accused were apprehended after relatives of Tania, a BA first year student in a private university, alleged that he had an altercation with some shopkeepers at Lajpat Nagar
market here on January 29 after they made fun of his hair style.
Following the altercation, the shopkeepers had allegedly thrashed him.
He was brought dead to AIIMS the next day.
The death of Tania, son of a Congress MLA, evoked angry reactions from people of the northeast living in the national capital who alleged police had failed to protect him.
Police had booked the four adult accused under Section 302 (murder) of IPC after the postmortem report showed Tania died due to injuries to his head and face caused by a blunt
Initially, police had on February 3 arrested three of the accused under the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (SC/ST) (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989.
On February 10, police arrested Sunny and slapped murder charge against all the four accused. Two minors, who also allegedly assaulted Tania, are facing an inquiry before the
Juvenile Justice Board here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!