Nido Taniam murder case: Accused remanded to judicial custody
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Tuesday extended by 14 days the judicial custody of the four persons arrested in connection with the death of 19-year-old Arunachal Pradesh student Nido Tania.
On expiry of their remand, accused Farman, Sunder Singh, Pawan and Sunny Uppal were produced before Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Pritam Singh, who remanded them back in judicial custody till April 7, after the CBI did not seek their custodial interrogation.
The case was transferred to CBI from Delhi Police for further investigation after the victim`s parents met Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi, demanding speedy justice for Tania.
They had alleged police negligence in the case and also demanded action against the guilty policemen.
The accused were apprehended after relatives of Tania, a BA first year student in a private university, alleged that he had an altercation with some shopkeepers at Lajpat Nagar market here on January 29 after they made fun of his hair style. Following the altercation shopkeepers had allegedly thrashed him. He was brought dead to AIIMS the next day.
Meanwhile, Sunny filed his bail application in the court of Additional Sessions Judge Jitendera Mishra, who partially heard the arguments but later listed it for April 7, after CBI requested.
CBI today sought time to submit the postmortem report in the matter.
Sunny in his plea seeks relief on the ground that his father had died after his arrest in the present case and there is no one to look after his family members.
During hearing of the bail plea, Judge Mishra also pulled up CBI for their "shoddy" probe, saying they should have made Delhi Police personnel accused in the case as they were also irresponsible during the incident.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput get holiday vibes! See inside
- Priyanka Chopra's dinner date with 'Baywatch' cast! View in pic
- Updated WhatsApp with 'call back', voice mail, video calling features coming soon!
- Ancient Hindu temple reopens after 27 years in Srinagar, Kashmiri Pandits jubilant
- AgustaWestland yet to return entire down payment made by India for VVIP choppers: Report