Nido Tania`s death: Demand for justice grows
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Voices demanding justice for an Arunachal Pradesh teen, who was mercilessly beaten up by two shopkeepers on Wednesday afternoon and died in a hospital on Thursday, have grown not just on streets but also on social media.
A Facebook page titled "Justice for Nido Tania" had received support from more than 34,000 people by early Sunday morning.
Angry over the death of an Arunachal Pradesh teen, students from the northeast held a protest in the capital and also met Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday.
Students from the northeast held a protest at the Lajpat Nagar market in south Delhi where Nido Tania, 19, was beaten up by two shopkeepers on Wednesday afternoon following a quarrel over his appearance and clothing. He died in a hospital on Thursday.
Kejriwal assured the group of students that he will meet Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung and demand action against any police official found guilty in the magisterial probe ordered by the Delhi government.
Kejriwal`s assurance came even as the students called off their protest after the Delhi Police assured them of speedy investigations.
The police on Saturday said Tania`s body was handed over to his guardian.
Students from Arunachal Pradesh had threatened that they would hold an indefinite protest.
Scores of protesters held placards, raised slogans against discrimination and demanded justice.
Nido Tania was the son of Arunachal Pradesh Congress legislator Nido Pavitra.
Activists and people from the northeast termed it a "racial attack".
Lok Sabha MP and Sikkim Democratic Front spokesperson P.D. Rai Saturday condemned the incident, saying the state`s people were "horrified" on knowing about Tania`s death and its causes as it played out on TV and social media.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested