Nigerian arrested with `black dollars`
New Delhi: With the arrest of a Nigerian national, the Delhi Police on Friday claimed to have busted a gang allegedly involved in duping people by selling `black dollars`. They claimed that it can be turned into original currency notes by cleaning them with a chemical.
According to the police, 33-year-old Ede Confident Uche was arrested by the Crime Branch from a hotel in Paharganj. Five bundles of black dollars, two bottles of chemical, two mobile phones and Rs 70,000 cash have been seized from him.
"We had received information from National Investigating Agency that Nigerian national Benjamin Franklin, who is involved in dubious trade of fake currency, would arrive at Hotel Pallavi to deliver a consignment of fake currency.
"Acting on this information, a trap was laid and Ede Confident Uche - an aide of Franklin was apprehended from outside the hotel," Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime Branch) Ravindra Yadav said.
During interrogation, it was found that Uche had cheated one Husain of Rs 70,000 on the pretext of supplying black dollars. He had delivered four packets of the notes and two bottles of chemical to Husain in the hotel, the police said.
"A case of cheating has been registered against Uche on the complaint of Husain. As the Nigerian was not in possession of a passport or visa for his stay in India, he has also been booked under the Foreigners Act," Yadav said.
Further interrogation revealed that Uche had visited India several times on tourist and business visas. During his visit in India this year, he came in contact with Franklin who has set up a website to dupe innocent people by promising to provide them black dollars.
Efforts are on to trace Franklin, the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre