Nigerian arrested with `black dollars`
New Delhi: With the arrest of a Nigerian national, the Delhi Police on Friday claimed to have busted a gang allegedly involved in duping people by selling `black dollars`. They claimed that it can be turned into original currency notes by cleaning them with a chemical.
According to the police, 33-year-old Ede Confident Uche was arrested by the Crime Branch from a hotel in Paharganj. Five bundles of black dollars, two bottles of chemical, two mobile phones and Rs 70,000 cash have been seized from him.
"We had received information from National Investigating Agency that Nigerian national Benjamin Franklin, who is involved in dubious trade of fake currency, would arrive at Hotel Pallavi to deliver a consignment of fake currency.
"Acting on this information, a trap was laid and Ede Confident Uche - an aide of Franklin was apprehended from outside the hotel," Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime Branch) Ravindra Yadav said.
During interrogation, it was found that Uche had cheated one Husain of Rs 70,000 on the pretext of supplying black dollars. He had delivered four packets of the notes and two bottles of chemical to Husain in the hotel, the police said.
"A case of cheating has been registered against Uche on the complaint of Husain. As the Nigerian was not in possession of a passport or visa for his stay in India, he has also been booked under the Foreigners Act," Yadav said.
Further interrogation revealed that Uche had visited India several times on tourist and business visas. During his visit in India this year, he came in contact with Franklin who has set up a website to dupe innocent people by promising to provide them black dollars.
Efforts are on to trace Franklin, the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you