Nigerian arrested with `black dollars`
New Delhi: With the arrest of a Nigerian national, the Delhi Police on Friday claimed to have busted a gang allegedly involved in duping people by selling `black dollars`. They claimed that it can be turned into original currency notes by cleaning them with a chemical.
According to the police, 33-year-old Ede Confident Uche was arrested by the Crime Branch from a hotel in Paharganj. Five bundles of black dollars, two bottles of chemical, two mobile phones and Rs 70,000 cash have been seized from him.
"We had received information from National Investigating Agency that Nigerian national Benjamin Franklin, who is involved in dubious trade of fake currency, would arrive at Hotel Pallavi to deliver a consignment of fake currency.
"Acting on this information, a trap was laid and Ede Confident Uche - an aide of Franklin was apprehended from outside the hotel," Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime Branch) Ravindra Yadav said.
During interrogation, it was found that Uche had cheated one Husain of Rs 70,000 on the pretext of supplying black dollars. He had delivered four packets of the notes and two bottles of chemical to Husain in the hotel, the police said.
"A case of cheating has been registered against Uche on the complaint of Husain. As the Nigerian was not in possession of a passport or visa for his stay in India, he has also been booked under the Foreigners Act," Yadav said.
Further interrogation revealed that Uche had visited India several times on tourist and business visas. During his visit in India this year, he came in contact with Franklin who has set up a website to dupe innocent people by promising to provide them black dollars.
Efforts are on to trace Franklin, the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’