Nitish Katara case: HC notice to police on bail plea of Vikas
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday
issued a notice to the city police on the bail plea of Vikas
Yadav who along with his cousin Vishal is serving life term in
the Nitish Katara murder case.
A division bench headed by Justice B D Ahmed sought
the response from Delhi police on the application of Vikas who
is seeking interim bail for a period of three months for
attending marriage of his younger brother Kunal.
The court then posted the matter for further hearing
on April 7, the next date of hearing.
Vikas, son of controversial Uttar Pradesh leader D P
Yadav, and his cousin Vishal are undergoing life imprisonment
in Tihar jail after being convicted by a lower court for
killing management graduate Katara on the intervening night of
February 16-17, 2002.
In the application, Vikas, whose appeal against the
conviction is pending in the High Court, said his brother is
getting married on April 29 and other related ceremonies would
commence from April 14 itself.
Eariler, in August 2009, the High Court had rejected
the bail of the convict cousins saying "although both the
accused persons were in custody for past several years, their
incarceration cannot be a ground by itself for grant of bail".
The lower court, in May 2008, had sentenced Vikas, 37,
and his cousin Vishal, 36, for killing Katara, son of an IAS
According to the prosecution, Vikas and Vishal had
kidnapped Katara from a marriage party in Ghaziabad and later
killed him as they were against Katara`s intimacy with their
sister Bharati Yadav.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore