Nitish Katara case: HC notice to police on bail plea of Vikas
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday
issued a notice to the city police on the bail plea of Vikas
Yadav who along with his cousin Vishal is serving life term in
the Nitish Katara murder case.
A division bench headed by Justice B D Ahmed sought
the response from Delhi police on the application of Vikas who
is seeking interim bail for a period of three months for
attending marriage of his younger brother Kunal.
The court then posted the matter for further hearing
on April 7, the next date of hearing.
Vikas, son of controversial Uttar Pradesh leader D P
Yadav, and his cousin Vishal are undergoing life imprisonment
in Tihar jail after being convicted by a lower court for
killing management graduate Katara on the intervening night of
February 16-17, 2002.
In the application, Vikas, whose appeal against the
conviction is pending in the High Court, said his brother is
getting married on April 29 and other related ceremonies would
commence from April 14 itself.
Eariler, in August 2009, the High Court had rejected
the bail of the convict cousins saying "although both the
accused persons were in custody for past several years, their
incarceration cannot be a ground by itself for grant of bail".
The lower court, in May 2008, had sentenced Vikas, 37,
and his cousin Vishal, 36, for killing Katara, son of an IAS
According to the prosecution, Vikas and Vishal had
kidnapped Katara from a marriage party in Ghaziabad and later
killed him as they were against Katara`s intimacy with their
sister Bharati Yadav.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25