Nitish Katara murder convict seeks retrial
New Delhi: Vishal Yadav, undergoing life term along with cousin Vikas for killing MBA graduate Nitish Katara in 2002, today asked the Delhi High Court to order "re-trial" of the case.
Appearing for Vishal before the bench of justices Gita Mittal and J R Midha, senior advocate Ram Jethmalani contended that the way the trial was conducted by the sessions court was not in accordance with the law and the accused persons deserved either "acquittal or re-trial" of the case.
"We are very much willing for the re-trial," Jaithmalani told the bench while commencing his final argument on the convict`s appeal.
The noted lawyer alleged that the prosecution as well as the trial court judge did not follow the proper procedure during the trial.
"This conviction does not sustain because the proceedings before the trial judge cannot be called as trial in accordance with the procedure prescribed by law," Jethmalani said.
"The trial court ignored the fact that the witnesses were not examined by the prosecution properly," he further alleged.
The court was hearing appeals of Vishal and Vikas Yadav, son of former MP D P Yadav, and hired killer Sukhdev Pehalwan, who are serving life term in Tihar.
Earlier, the counsel for Vikas had completed his final arguments on the appeal.
Yadavs were convicted in 2008 by the trial court for kidnapping and later murdering Nitish Katara, son of an IAS officer, as they were against his affair with their sister Bharati Yadav.
The duo had killed Katara on the night of February 17, 2002, after abducting him from a marriage party in Uttar Pradesh`s Ghaziabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced