No alternative solution to vertical growth in Delhi: Nath
New Delhi: Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath Monday hit back at those critical of his suggestion that Delhi should choose vertical growth through high rise buildings by saying that some people were raising doubts but had no alternative solution to offer.
"Now Delhi can`t expand with Haryana on one side and you`ve got UP on the other side. Where does Delhi expand? What is the kind of urban planning we need," HE said.
"The twelfth plan....Planning Commission passed two weeks ago talks about optimum use of land. How do we have optimum use of land. When I talk of high rise I get a lot of letters that Delhi can`t have high rise, Delhi can`t have this, Delhi can`t have that. Okay, then what do we do? Give me an answer. (But) nobody is ready to give me an answer," the Minister said.
Nath was speaking at an Infrastructure conclave organised by the PHD Chamber of Commerce here.
He said that a practical approach had to be chosen on the issue of allowing vertical growth in Delhi.
"But you have all kinds of people who will write letters, write articles that Delhi cannot have high rise... That is desirable, but you have to practice the art of feasible against the art of the desirable," Nath said.
"High rise must be there where we can build infrastructure to support high rise, in selected areas and earmarked areas. Urban planners must earmark areas where high rise is possible and back that up with infrastructure. Once that is backed by infrastructure, we should be looking at high rises in areas specified by urban planning," he said.
Nath said that "idealistic approaches" did not solve the problem and added that in India there was a huge pressure of population and people could not be stopped from moving from one area to another area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark