No anthrax in Delhi zoo, precautions eased
New Delhi: The death of a male rhino in Delhi zoo last month was not caused by deadly anthrax, tests at three labs have confirmed following which restrictions at the facility were eased.
Though anthrax has been ruled out as the cause of death, officials said they were yet to ascertain what led to the male rhino`s death in April.
As the reports from Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Bareilly, the National Institute for Communicable Diseases and a private vet lab here established that anthrax was not the cause, officials said they have eased the precautionary measures taken at the zoo after the rhino`s death.
Now, the animal enclosure has been opened for public view.
The four-year-old male Indian rhinoceros, Junior Raja, listed as an endangered species, was found dead on April 29 at its enclosure at the zoo.
Suspecting the symptoms to be those of anthrax during the post mortem, the dead rhinoceros` blood and food samples were sent for testing to the Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Bareilly, the National Institute for Communicable Diseases and a private vet lab here.
"All three results have come out and are negative," Delhi zoo curator Riaz Khan said.
On what was the real reason that caused the animal`s death, Khan said, "We are still finding out what the reason is, but it definitely isn`t anthrax as the results clearly show".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city