No bail for man held for sending lewd SMS to DU Professor
New Delhi: A man arrested by police for sending lewd messages to a Delhi University professor has been denied bail by a court here.
The court said in the light of President`s ordinance amending the criminal law to make it stricter to deal with offences against women, the matter did not warrant bail.
Metropolitan Magistrate Ekta Gauba denied bail to Suman Raj, who was working as an attendant at Kalindi college here.
Raj was arrested on March 11 on the complaint of a lady professor of the same college. The complainant had told police that Raj was sending her vulgar and obscene SMSes.
He has been booked under Section 354D IPC, which has been added to the Indian Penal Code by President`s ordinance in February and deals with offence of stalking.
The lady alleged the accused had been sending him indecent messages compelling and even threatening her to "establish personal relationship with him". In order to avoid advances from him, she changed her mobile number but Raj managed to get her new mobile number and again started sending her such messages.
"As per the SMSes sent by the accused, it is clear that he has tried to compel the complainant in his message to foster personal relationship with him and also causing fear of violence or alarm to the complainant," the court said.
"Considering the reason behind issuance of the Ordinance by the President of India, as well as the fact that in the present case there is also allegation of sexual harassment of women at workplace as the complainant was working in the same college as the accused but at a very senior post, the allegations are serious in nature," the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery