No bail for man held for sending lewd SMS to DU Professor
New Delhi: A man arrested by police for sending lewd messages to a Delhi University professor has been denied bail by a court here.
The court said in the light of President`s ordinance amending the criminal law to make it stricter to deal with offences against women, the matter did not warrant bail.
Metropolitan Magistrate Ekta Gauba denied bail to Suman Raj, who was working as an attendant at Kalindi college here.
Raj was arrested on March 11 on the complaint of a lady professor of the same college. The complainant had told police that Raj was sending her vulgar and obscene SMSes.
He has been booked under Section 354D IPC, which has been added to the Indian Penal Code by President`s ordinance in February and deals with offence of stalking.
The lady alleged the accused had been sending him indecent messages compelling and even threatening her to "establish personal relationship with him". In order to avoid advances from him, she changed her mobile number but Raj managed to get her new mobile number and again started sending her such messages.
"As per the SMSes sent by the accused, it is clear that he has tried to compel the complainant in his message to foster personal relationship with him and also causing fear of violence or alarm to the complainant," the court said.
"Considering the reason behind issuance of the Ordinance by the President of India, as well as the fact that in the present case there is also allegation of sexual harassment of women at workplace as the complainant was working in the same college as the accused but at a very senior post, the allegations are serious in nature," the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire