No effective implementing of anti bonded labour laws: Agnivesh
New Delhi: Activist Swami Agnivesh on Tuesday alleged that central and state governments were not properly implementing legislations on checking bonded labour and ensuring minimum wages.
He also claimed that states do not properly rehabilitate rescued labourers.
"Both the state and the Union governments were unable to oversee the effective implementation of various Acts like the Bonded Labourers Act, 1979, Minimum Wages Act, 1948, Inter State Migrant Workmen Act, 1979, among others," Agnivesh, who leads Bonded Labour Liberation Front, said.
"Our frequent requests to the state government and the central government to conduct investigation into the working conditions of bonded labourers in Jammu and Kashmir have fallen on deaf ears. I also requested the Chhattisgarh principal resident commissioner to probe this matter. But there was no progress," Agnivesh claimed.
Rajkumari Sahu, who was claimed to be rescued from Jammu and Kashmir, alleged that she has been working in a brick kiln for the last four years while her husband was employed there for last 11 years.
"They give us money to meet our expenses. But we are not paid minimum wages for the work that we do," she alleged.
"When my husband told the owners he wanted to go home, they allegedly told him to pay Rs 3 lakh. The owners threatened me not to speak against them to police or else they would beat up my child. They also beat up my husband," she alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof