No entry for drunk passengers in Delhi Metro
New Delhi: Delhi Metro may soon stop entry of drunk commuters on trains with the DMRC planning to provide alcometers to CISF personnel manning the entry to the facility.
In a joint pilot test conducted recently by Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) and CISF at Rajiv Chowk Metro station in central Delhi, use of alcometers were found to be successful in detecting drunk passengers, an official said.
Alcometer is a device to detect alcohol consumption by analysing breath. "It was found that some passengers who came to the Metro stations drunk claimed that they are on medication and hence they are smelling of alcohol. DMRC gave us few alcometers for testing and it was found successful," a CISF official said.
Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) now has sent a proposal to DMRC for procuring about 130 of these machines.
"We have asked DMRC to get more of these devices to be deployed across all stations. The step would ensure passenger safety and bring down instances of wrong behaviour due to alcohol consumption in the Metro," the official said.
The machine will also give a printout of the person`s alcohol parameters and serious offenders would be handed over to Delhi police for further action, he said.
CISF and Delhi Metro authorities have increased vigil on station areas and train coaches since last year`s December 16 gangrape incident in the national capital and this step is yet another measure to ensure passenger safety, an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH