No entry for drunk passengers in Delhi Metro
New Delhi: Delhi Metro may soon stop entry of drunk commuters on trains with the DMRC planning to provide alcometers to CISF personnel manning the entry to the facility.
In a joint pilot test conducted recently by Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) and CISF at Rajiv Chowk Metro station in central Delhi, use of alcometers were found to be successful in detecting drunk passengers, an official said.
Alcometer is a device to detect alcohol consumption by analysing breath. "It was found that some passengers who came to the Metro stations drunk claimed that they are on medication and hence they are smelling of alcohol. DMRC gave us few alcometers for testing and it was found successful," a CISF official said.
Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) now has sent a proposal to DMRC for procuring about 130 of these machines.
"We have asked DMRC to get more of these devices to be deployed across all stations. The step would ensure passenger safety and bring down instances of wrong behaviour due to alcohol consumption in the Metro," the official said.
The machine will also give a printout of the person`s alcohol parameters and serious offenders would be handed over to Delhi police for further action, he said.
CISF and Delhi Metro authorities have increased vigil on station areas and train coaches since last year`s December 16 gangrape incident in the national capital and this step is yet another measure to ensure passenger safety, an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report