No more than 10 people to offer prayer at razed mosque: Delhi HC
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Friday dismissed a plea to allow more than 10 people to offer prayers
at the site of a demolished mosque, which was built illegally
on an encroached piece of land in a posh South Delhi area.
Justice GS Sistani dismissed the plea made by Noor
Charitable Society, which had built the mosque and had been
"The land does not belong to you. I have ordered a
status quo for a period of two months to facilitate the
resolution of the issue. The prayer seeking waiver on the
number of `namajis` cannot be allowed at this stage," said
Justice Sistani, dismissing the society`s plea to the court.
The court had on January 17 allowed 10 people to offer
prayers every Friday for the next two months, saying that it
was permitting it to arrive at a solution of the problem arising
out of demolition of the illegal mosque.
Refusing the society`s claim over the public land, the
court had asked the Delhi Development Authority, which had
earlier razed the mosque on court`s order, to reclaim the land
and construct a boundary wall around it.
It had also allowed 10 members of the community to
offer prayers for two months there to facilitate a solution.
"DDA will complete the construction of boundary wall
(at the site where illegal mosque was demolished) and leave a
gate of 2.5 feet to allow 10 persons of the community, whose
names would be furnished to DDA and police, to offer `namaz`
for a period of two months...," Justice GS Sistani had said
in his order early this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Analysing the murder mystery of Sheena Bora case- Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack