New Delhi: The municipal corporation of East Delhi (EDMC) has told Delhi High Court that no new dustbins were installed in its localities since the trifurcation of MCD in 2012.
The submission was made by EDMC in an affidavit placed before a bench of justices Badar Durrez Ahmed and Sanjeev Sachdeva which has been hearing a PIL alleging disappearance of dustbins from not just east Delhi areas but other parts of the national capital.
The affidavit has been filed in reply to the court's queries in December last year on whether dustbins were installed in all localities under EDMC jurisdiction, on the number of trucks deployed for mechanically removing garbage from dustbins and if there were enough 'dhalaos' in the city.
EDMC, in its affidavit, has said, "Since inception of East Delhi Municipal Corporation, no dustbins were installed. EDMC is in the process of procuring and installing 600 bins of 100 litre capacity.
"It is submitted that during unified corporation, dustbins were installed long back and contract of same was closed during unified corporation," EDMC has said and added that all records pertaining to contracts related to dustbins were with the North MCD which was the nodal agency of the three corporations.
It has also said that it is "lifting around 2000-2200 metric tonne of garbage per day from 300 'dhalaos' (garbage dumps) mechanically with help of departmental as well as hired loaders/tipper trucks".
"Garbage is regularly removed from the 300 dhalaos as per schedule chalked out as per availability of men and machinery i.e.- tipper trucks and loaders and the garbage from all the major 'dhalaos' are lifted atleast once a day. Garbage is lifted in all the three shifts during the day," it has said.
On the issue of having appropriate number of 'dhalaos', EDMC has said it is "regularly pursuing" with the land owning agency the issue of land allocation for constructing 'dhalaos' and 39 sites have been identified.
On January 21, the high court had chastised civic bodies
for doing "nothing" regarding "disappearance" of dustbins from various parts of the national capital, despite its earlier order of December 3, 2014.
The court on December 3, 2014, had sought information from the civic bodies on whether dustbins have been installed and whether there were adequate number of 'dhalaos' in all areas under their jurisdiction.
The court was hearing a plea filed by Sharad Tiwari and Sanjeev Agnihotri, residents of Vishwas Nagar here, who have claimed that two perfectly functional dustbins were recently removed from the area and put up in another Uttar Pradesh.
In their plea filed through advocate Sugrive Dubey, they have contended that this "disappearance or removal of dustbins" was happening all over the city.
They have sought directions to the municipal bodies to provide dustbins on each street of the capital and also a CBI probe into the number of sanitary workers engaged and present on duty.