No picture of Sheila, Chauhan on loan forms: Lokayukta
New Delhi: Delhi Lokayukta on Monday ordered that no photograph of Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and PWD Minister Raj Kumar Chauhan be carried on a form offering loan at low rates to entrepreneurs from SC, ST, OBC and minority communities.
The order by Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin came in response to a complaint filed last year by BJP leader Harsh Vardhan who objected to publication of the photographs on the loan form, saying it was aimed at getting "undue political gain" from intended beneficiaries.
"Issue an `advisory` to the Chief Minister of Delhi and the concerned Minister to desist from printing their photographs on the loan application forms under the Dilli Swarojgar Yojna," Justice Sarin said in the order.
Seeking blocking of photographs of Dikshit and Chouhan on the forms, the Lokayukta recommended to President Pranab Mukherjee that a direction be issued to the city government to frame appropriate guidelines for issuance of advertisements, hoardings etc featuring photographs of public functionaries.
"Direct the government of Delhi to frame appropriate guidelines that would govern the issuance of advertisements, hoardings etc containing photographs and images of public functionaries even during the period when model code is not applicable so as to conform to the norms of conduct and integrity expected of `public functionaries`," the Lokayukta said in the order.
Delhi government had launched Dilli Swarojgar Yojna in September last year under which youths from SC, ST, OBC and minority communities were to be given loan up to Rs 5 lakh. The forms distributed for availing the loan carried photographs of Dikshit as well as Chouhan who is in-charge of the SC, ST department.
Harshvardhan had alleged that putting photographs of Dikshit and Chouhan on the form was against "laid-down norms". The BJP leader, in his petition, had said that in view of the impending elections, publication of the photographs was an attempt to woo voters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire