No possibility of NC allying with BJP: Omar
New Delhi: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Friday ruled out possibility of an alliance between National Conference and NDA, saying their previous association was only due to his party`s relationship with former Prime Minister and BJP stalwart Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
"The National Conference and the NDA were unnatural allies...Therefore I do not see a possibility of the NC returning to the NDA fold. The relationship between NC and NDA was (due to) the relationship between the NC and Atal Bihari Vajpayee. He was a sort of leader that brought people together," Omar told mediapersons during an interaction at Press Club here.
He said it was not a relationship between the NC and the BJP.
"It was a relationship between NC and the NDA, the NDA headed by Atal Bihari Vajpayee. No matter how carefully I look, I don`t see anybody in the NDA, particularly in the BJP who is even close to the credentials of Atal Bihari Vajpayee. And unless such a leader is thrown up by the NDA, the possibility of the NC returning (to the alliance) does not exist," he said.
The National Conference was a part of Vajpayee led-NDA government, which was in power from 1998 to 2004. However, the Kashmir-based party had later snapped ties with the BJP-led alliance.
To a question on supporting NDA if it is headed by Bihar Chief Minister and JD(U) leader Nitish Kumar, Omar refused to respond saying it was a "hypothetical situation".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’