No property tax from unauthorized colonies, villages: MCD
New Delhi: Owners of properties in
unauthorised colonies, rural villages and urbanised villages
in the capital will not need to pay house tax from now on, the
MCD said on Wednesday.
A meeting of the MCD Standing Committee passed a
resolution in this regard and also directed the Municipal
Commissioner neither to collect property tax from such areas
nor send any tax demand notices to residents there.
The BJP-ruled MCD`s move came two days after the Delhi
Assembly passed a motion that properties in unauthorised
colonies be exempted from house tax till their regularisation
while in rural and urbanised villages, original owners or
heirs of properties who are making personal use of such units
should also be exempted from tax.
During the discussion on the motion, ruling Congress
MLAs had said the MCD has issued tax notices to many people in
"We have decided that we will not collect tax from
unauthorised colonies till their regularisation. From
villages, we were not collecting tax and the Commissioner has
been asked to ensure that no tax notices are sent to residents
of such areas. If he finds any difficulties in ensuring this,
we may approach the Lt Governor and Union Home Minister to
arrive at a solution on the issue," Standing Committee
Chairman Yogender Chandolia said.
He said rather than collecting tax from villages, MCD
will prefer to widen the tax net to increase revenue. "Among
35 lakh properties in Delhi, only nine lakh are paying house
tax," he noted.
Chandolia also termed the passing of the motion by
Delhi Assembly as a "political move".
"Delhi government is not taking any decision over MCD
resolutions on reducing the age of senior citizens from 65
years to 60 for the purpose of rebate in property tax and
increasing the rebate of 30 per cent to women and physically
challenged for self-occupied properties from 100 sq m to 200
sq m," the BJP leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar