No resentment among babus, politicians on sanitation: Ramesh
New Delhi: There is "no resentment" among bureaucrats and politicians on the issue of sanitation despite 60 per cent of women in India defecating in open, Union minister Jairam Ramesh today rued.
"When I was being introduced today it was said that I am the Rural Development Minister. Drinking Water and Sanitation Ministry was forgotten. It is often forgotten. This reflects our mindset. We accept Rural Development, but often don`t see separately the issue of Drinking Water and Sanitation," he said at a function here.
Addressing the launch of Convergence Projects of National Mission for Empowerment of Women, he said the menace of open defecation "does not anger us, we don`t feel ashamed, there is no resentment among us that 60 per cent of women in our country are forced to go in open toilets."
He termed it as "a blot on our society" and "there is no country in the world, which has such a practice."
"Whether you strengthen the Panchayati Raj system or form self help groups for the women, but till the time toilets are not made available to 60 per cent of the women in our country, women will not be empowered," Ramesh said at the function chaired by Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath and also attended by Tribal Affairs Minister Kishore Chandra Deo.
"So to make toilets and bring a change in the behaviour, only construction of toilets will not be enough, we need to ensure a change in behaviour and mindset. Till the time we don`t do this, we will not be able to fulfil our duties for empowerment," the minister told the tightly packed women audience.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered