No sealing of illegal constructions in Delhi till Dec `11
New Delhi: Giving interim relief to Delhi
residents, Parliament on Monday passed a Bill seeking to prevent
sealing of unauthorised commercial constructions in the city
till December 31.
The National Capital Territory of Delhi Laws (Special
Provision) Bill, moved by Urban Development Minister Kamal
Nath, was passed in the Rajya Sabha by voice vote without
The measure, already passed by Lok Sabha, was approved in
the Upper House amidst slogan shouting by Opposition members
demanding a discussion on the WikiLeaks issue under Rule 176,
which does not entail voting.
The anti-sealing laws shall be deemed to have come into
effect from January 1, 2011 after its enactment in Parliament.
Aiming to prevent sealing and demolition of a large number
of unauthorised constructions, the Bill seeks to maintain
status quo with respect to unauthorised colonies, including
village abadis (settlements) and their extensions, storages,
warehouses and godowns for farm produce and some other
categories in the city.
The Bill also aims at extending the relief to urban
Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) had restarted the
sealing and demolition drive in the capital after the earlier
ordinance expired on December 31 last year. The civic body was
bound by orders of the Supreme Court to resume the sealing of
unauthorised commercial properties.
Commercial establishments operating illegally in farm
houses and other places in nearly 400 rural areas and
urbanised villages of Delhi are expected to get a reprieve
after the enactment of the Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India