No sealing of illegal constructions in Delhi till Dec `11
New Delhi: Giving interim relief to Delhi
residents, Parliament on Monday passed a Bill seeking to prevent
sealing of unauthorised commercial constructions in the city
till December 31.
The National Capital Territory of Delhi Laws (Special
Provision) Bill, moved by Urban Development Minister Kamal
Nath, was passed in the Rajya Sabha by voice vote without
The measure, already passed by Lok Sabha, was approved in
the Upper House amidst slogan shouting by Opposition members
demanding a discussion on the WikiLeaks issue under Rule 176,
which does not entail voting.
The anti-sealing laws shall be deemed to have come into
effect from January 1, 2011 after its enactment in Parliament.
Aiming to prevent sealing and demolition of a large number
of unauthorised constructions, the Bill seeks to maintain
status quo with respect to unauthorised colonies, including
village abadis (settlements) and their extensions, storages,
warehouses and godowns for farm produce and some other
categories in the city.
The Bill also aims at extending the relief to urban
Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) had restarted the
sealing and demolition drive in the capital after the earlier
ordinance expired on December 31 last year. The civic body was
bound by orders of the Supreme Court to resume the sealing of
unauthorised commercial properties.
Commercial establishments operating illegally in farm
houses and other places in nearly 400 rural areas and
urbanised villages of Delhi are expected to get a reprieve
after the enactment of the Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees