No sympathy for suicide of gang-rape accused: Venkaiah Naidu
New Delhi: BJP leader Venkaiah Naidu on Monday said he has no sympathy for the gang-rape accused who allegedly committed suicide in Tihar Jail.
"If he has committed suicide then I do not have any sympathy. But as the family (of accused) is alleging that it is a murder then it is a different case and inquiry will reveal it," Naidu told reporters outside Parliament.
Ram Singh, the prime accused in the December 16 gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl here, allegedly committed suicide in a high-security cell in Tihar Jail early this morning.
According to jail officials, 33-year-old Singh hanged himself with the help of his clothes from the grills of his cell in Jail No 3 at around 5 am.
"This has to be probed if there is a lack of security particularly in such cases. As far as I am concerned I have no sympathy for such persons. Though it (offence) has to be proved in the court but it is evident to all people and they (accused) have also accepted their guilt also before the magistrate. So I have no sympathy," the BJP leader said.
"The government should take the security issue of the accused lodged in jail seriously," he said.
When told that that the accused`s family is alleging it is not suicide but murder, Naidu said, "Government will be able to tell after inquiry".
Meanwhile, BSP chief Mayawati demanded a high level inquiry into the death.
"This is a matter of investigation and the Centre should conduct a high-level inquiry to go deep into the case," she told reporters outside Parliament here.
Tihar Jail has already ordered an inquiry into the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APICET 2016 Results: (apicet.net.in) AP ICET Result 2016, AP Integrated Common Entrance Test Results to be declared today on May 27 at 9 AM
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two (Class 12) Exam Results 2016 is likely to be declared today anytime soon - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron