No sympathy for suicide of gang-rape accused: Venkaiah Naidu
New Delhi: BJP leader Venkaiah Naidu on Monday said he has no sympathy for the gang-rape accused who allegedly committed suicide in Tihar Jail.
"If he has committed suicide then I do not have any sympathy. But as the family (of accused) is alleging that it is a murder then it is a different case and inquiry will reveal it," Naidu told reporters outside Parliament.
Ram Singh, the prime accused in the December 16 gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl here, allegedly committed suicide in a high-security cell in Tihar Jail early this morning.
According to jail officials, 33-year-old Singh hanged himself with the help of his clothes from the grills of his cell in Jail No 3 at around 5 am.
"This has to be probed if there is a lack of security particularly in such cases. As far as I am concerned I have no sympathy for such persons. Though it (offence) has to be proved in the court but it is evident to all people and they (accused) have also accepted their guilt also before the magistrate. So I have no sympathy," the BJP leader said.
"The government should take the security issue of the accused lodged in jail seriously," he said.
When told that that the accused`s family is alleging it is not suicide but murder, Naidu said, "Government will be able to tell after inquiry".
Meanwhile, BSP chief Mayawati demanded a high level inquiry into the death.
"This is a matter of investigation and the Centre should conduct a high-level inquiry to go deep into the case," she told reporters outside Parliament here.
Tihar Jail has already ordered an inquiry into the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why