No threat perception to Delhi MLA: Centre to HC
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Friday, April 05, 2013, 22:23
  
New Delhi: Centre on Friday told the Delhi High Court that there is no security threat to local MLA Shoaib Iqbal, accused of aiding illegal construction of a mosque on public land near Red Fort, and to vice president of Akhil Bharat Hindu Mahasabha.

Appearing for the Ministry of Home Affairs, Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Siddharth Luthra submitted two sealed reports before a bench headed by Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul.

The bench also comprised justices Rajiv Shakdher and ML Mehta.

One report is from the Home Ministry while the other is from the Special Cell of Delhi Police.

After going through the reports, the bench said, "As per the report, there is no threat perception either to Matia Mahal MLA Shoaib Iqbal or to Shri Sai Baba Omji, vice president of ABHM."

The court was hearing Baba Omji's plea in which he had claimed that several attempts were made on his life and despite his representation the police was not taking any step.

The court posted the matter for July 26 saying, "The Supreme Court is seized of Iqbal's plea for security."

Meanwhile, the bench expressed its anguish over Baba Omji making personal allegations against ASG and police commissioner for not providing him the security.

The bench asked him to withdraw the application in which he had levelled allegations and said the police have failed to take action despite his representations.

Taking suo motu cognisance over the reported construction of structure in Subhash Park near Red Fort allegedly at the instance of Iqbal, the bench had last year asked the ASI to demolish the structure to ascertain if any Mughal-era mosque had existed on the site.

The apex court, however, stayed the order on Iqbal's plea.

The High Court had also given the task to the ASI to file a report on the issue after investigation.

Prior to that, the ASI had issued a notice on July 19 to the Deputy Commissioner, MCD to remove the unauthorised construction within fifteen days.

Baba Omji, had filed an intervention application in which he appealed the court to demolish the "illegal" structure.

PTI


First Published: Friday, April 05, 2013, 22:23


comments powered by Disqus