`No toll tax on Delhi-Gurgaon e-way till Monday`
New Delhi: The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Wednesday declared that commuters travelling between Delhi and Gurgaon will be exempted from paying toll tax till October 08 during rush hours.
In the last hearing on September 28, the Punjab and Haryana High Court had ordered that no toll would be collected from private vehicles on the busy Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway during peak office hours in the morning and evening.
The high court division bench said that no toll collection would be allowed from private vehicles during peak morning hours 8.30 am to 10 am and in the evenings from 5.30 pm to 7 pm. This has been extended now till October 08.
The high court was not impressed completely by the measures taken by the concessionaire to end traffic snarls and harassment of motorists at the toll plaza.
With the latest directions of the high court, the toll-free drive for private vehicles through the Delhi-Gurgaon toll plaza has partially ended.
The high court had suspended all toll collections from September 04 for 15 days and later extended it twice.
The toll collection was suspended following the failure of the concessionaire, Delhi Gurgaon Super Connectivity Limited, to take steps to de-congest the busy expressway which was seeing huge traffic jams due to the toll plaza.
On September 20, the high court allowed the concessionaire to collect toll from commercial vehicles.
While directing the concessionaire to implement the steps to de-congest the expressway toll plaza, the high court appointed former Punjab and Haryana High Court chief justice Mukul Mudgal as the local commissioner to inspect the new measures at de-congesting and report to the high court.
The toll plaza saw long queues of cars and other vehicles, causing traffic jams, throughout the day and commuters on the Delhi-Gurgaon highway were facing a harrowing time due to the traffic snarls at the toll plaza.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore