No trial through video conferencing for Salem
New Delhi: A city court on Wednesday accepted
extradited gangster Abu Salem`s plea against conducting his
trial through video conferencing in a case of alleged
extortion following a U-turn by Delhi Police but rejected his
The idea to conduct trial in the case against Salem was
earlier floated by the court itself. Delhi Police, which had
then strongly backed it citing security threat to the accused
in shuttling him between Mumbai and Delhi, made volte-face
stating that it was not required at this stage.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Kaveri Baweja, taking into
account the submission by the police, allowed Salem`s plea who
had opposed any trial through video conferencing alleging it
was a ploy to delay the matter and would further affect his
right to fair defence if implemented.
"During the course of argument for conducting trial, it
is submitted by the prosecution (Delhi Police) that the state
does not want to press video-conferencing at this stage. So,
the plea of the accused (Salem) is allowed," the court said,
fixing October 13 as the date for recording evidence.
Meanwhile, the court dismissed Salem`s plea for bail on
the ground that he had completed more than half of the maximum
seven-year jail term prescribed under the statute for the
offence of extortion.
Salem, extradited from Portugal in 2005, is being tried
along with three others Ishtiya Ahmed, C P Rai and Sadiq Ali
for allegedly making threat calls to businessmen Puneet Khanna
and Rajat Nagrath, owner of Delhi-based Allied Communications,
demanding Rs one crore in 2002.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo