No witness came forward to depose against me till 2000: Sajjan
New Delhi: Veteran Congress leader Sajjan Kumar, facing trial in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case, on Tuesday questioned in a Delhi court why the key witness did not take his name before a judicial commission when she first gave her statement 27 years ago.
Continuing the final arguments in the case, advocate I U Khan, appearing for Kumar, said his name did not figure in the complaints and statements of complainant and witness Jagdish Kaur who was one of the victims of the riots.
He said she had not made any statement against Kumar before the Ranganath Mishra Commission in 1985 and the first statement against him was made before the G T Nanavati Commission in 2000. Both the commissions had gone into the sequence of events leading to the anti-Sikh riots after the assassination of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984.
"Sajjan Kumar is named as the main accused in this case but Jagdish Kaur did not name him before the Ranganath Mishra Commission in 1985. Kumar`s name surfaced for the first time in 2000 before the Nanavati Commission," Khan said.
He argued no witness in the case came forward to depose anything against Kumar till 2000 before various commissions, constituted to probe the riots cases but as soon as the case was transferred to CBI, they all came forward.
"No witness came forward before the police, riot cell or any commission and committee to depose for such a long time. At every stage, the witnesses were sleeping. They woke up only when the case was transferred to CBI.
"They do not trust any probe agency but they trust CBI," he said.
Sajjan Kumar is facing trial along with five others -- Balwan Khokkar, Kishan Khokkar, Mahender Yadav, Girdhari Lal and Captain Bhagmal for allegedly inciting a mob against the Sikh community in Delhi Cantonment area here.
Five Sikhs were killed in Delhi Cantonment area during the riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested