Noida murder: Third accused arrested, sent to 14-day remand

The third accused in the murder of a factory worker here was on Tuesday sent to 14-day judicial custody after he was arrested.

Updated: Jan 08, 2013, 22:50 PM IST

Noida: The third accused in the murder of a factory worker here was on Tuesday sent to 14-day judicial custody after he was arrested even as two more policemen were sent to police lines for allegedly not acting on the victim`s complaint earlier.

"The third accused Udeyveer was arrested last night," a senior police officer said today.
The accused, who was presented before the District court later in the day, was sent to 14 days judicial custody.

According to the officer, initial medical report of the woman did not confirm rape and police are now waiting for the final report.

"Her body, however, showed signs that a rape attempt was made," he said.

The semi-nude body of a 21-year-old employee of a garment factory, bearing injury marks, was found on Saturday morning from Pushta area in Sector 63.

Meanwhile, Sub-Inspector Rajesh and constable Rakesh were shunted to police lines for allegedly failing to act on a complaint by the victim two years ago that one of the accused had forcibly entered her house and attempted to molest her.

"Had the police taken action then the accused could not have dare to commit the murder. The police slackness gave the accused courage to strike against her," National Commission for Scheduled Caste Vice Chairman Raj Kumar Verka had stated during his visit to Noida on Sunday.

Earlier, a SHO was shunted to police lines and four policemen suspended on Sunday in the wake of the incident.

The two other arrested accused Naresh and Kailash were sent to 14 days judicial custody yesterday after they were produced before the district court.

Call details and electronic surveillance helped the police in nabbing the culprits, officials said.

Naresh had once worked in the same garment export house where the victim was working and had promised to marry her. However, the woman came to know that he was already married and started avoiding him.

Naresh told police that the woman was threatening to lodge an FIR against him and he got scared and hatched a plan to kill her.

On the fateful day, he took her to an under construction factory at sector 63 where two other accomplices Kailash and Udeyveer were present.

Kailash and Udeyveer also had enmity with the woman. The victim had in the past complained to police against Kailash. Udeyveer had few years ago forcibly entered her house and molested her.

Though the district administration and state government had announced financial compensation, the victim`s father had initially refused to accept the compensation, saying he only wanted to see that his daughter gets justice.

He said her soul will rest in peace only when her killers were hanged. Later on persuasion of officers, a compensation of Rs.3.75 lakh has been given to him.

The Chief Minister`s Rs 15 lakh compensation announcement was also still to be communicated to the district office. "Once received, this amount too would be disbursed to the family," officials said.

After the incident, police have set up a chowki at Behlolpur Hindon Pushta area which includes Behlolpur and Chotpur Colony under its jurisdiction. The decision came since these colonies fell in remote area and their monitoring from Model Town chowki was difficult.

Meanwhile, members of Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU) and other trade unions held protest outside the District Magistrate camp office here condemning the incident.

Alleging that crime against woman was on a rise in the city, the protesters said the death of the factory worker had exposed the inadequate safety and security provided to workers.

They demanded self defence training to female workers and also such cases to be tried in fast track courts.