Non-appearance of BSP MLA; Irked court orders his arrest
New Delhi: Irked over non-appearance and
defiance of summons by a Bahujan Samaj Party MLA, a Delhi
court today ordered his arrest in a case lodged in 2008 for
allegedly defacing public properties during his poll campaign.
Surendra Kumar, a lawmaker who represents Gokalpuri
assembly seat here, incurred the wrath of Metropolitan
Magistrate Amitabh Rawat after he failed to give plausible
reasons for his non-appearance during earlier hearings.
The court, which sent the MLA to judicial custody for
14 days, has now posted his bail plea for hearing tomorrow.
Earlier, the lawmaker, who appeared in the court after
being issued a non-bailable warrant, sought its cancellation
which was rejected by the magistrate who held that his
non-appearance was not justified.
A case under the provisions of the West Bengal`s
Prevention of Defacement of Property Act was registered
against the MLA at Harsh Vihar police station.
He is alleged to have pasted several posters during
his campaign in 2008 Delhi assembly elections.
The accused MLA appeared for cancellation of the NBW,
which was issued against him after he missed three earlier
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender