Nondescript Burari readying to host Congress power meet
New Delhi: Burari, a nondescript locality
in Northwest Delhi, is bustling with activity as its prepares
to host perhaps the country`s most keenly watched event this
weekend-- the three-day Congress plenary.
Beginning Saturday, around 20,000 party members
including its top leaders will descend here and city Congress
is leaving no stone unturned to make the event a grand success
and stay of the delegates pleasant.
The plenary, which is taking place on 125th
anniversary of the party, will discuss future strategy of the
party and pass resolutions on economic, political and foreign
A sprawling complex has been converted into a
colourful tent city decked up with posters.
Apart from having separate rooms for top leaders
including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and party chief Sonia
Gandhi, the venue also has a post office, conference hall and
food courts which will treat guests to a variety of
DPCC chief J P Aggarwal, who has been overseeing
preparations, said an open conference hall will accommodate
around 20,000 people while each of the four dinning halls will
have the capacity of nearly 2,000.
He said food from almost all parts of the country will
be available at the venue which will also have a medical
centre and organisers are planning to set a centre for railway
and airline reservation.
"All the DPCC members are working very hard to make
the plenary a grand success. We are very upbeat as it is
taking place on the 125th anniversary of our party," Aggarwal
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and all her ministerial
colleagues are also looking after the preparations so that all
the delegates go back fully satisfied.
Aggarwal said everybody including the ministers are
extending their cooperation as Congressman.
"Everything is being done by DPCC. The city government
is not involved in the preparation. This is a party event," he
said, adding arrangements are being made for stay of 7,000
delegates at the venue.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan