Not holding govt to ransom with fasts: Bhushan
New Delhi: The government is not being held to ransom with fasts, an activist and civil society member of the Lokpal bill drafting panel said on Friday, adding that they are ready for talks.
"This is not about holding the government to ransom with fasts. If the government wants to talk about anything that is being disagreed upon, we would definitely like to talk to them," Prashant Bhushan, lawyer and member of the Lokpal bill drafting committee, said on Friday.
His statement comes a day after Gandhian Anna Hazare announced he would go on indefinite fast from Aug 16 following the open disagreements in the talks between the government and the civil society representatives.
After six rounds of talks (the civil society boycotted the June 6 meeting), Hazare accused the government of cheating the civil society that has campaigned for a strong Lokpal, or Ombudsman, while ministers accused the anti-corruption crusader of trying to set up "a parallel government".
"You cannot crate a parallel government outside the government which controls every activity which relates to the government," Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal, one of the five ministers on the panel on Lokpal bill drafting, said Thursday.
Bhushan Friday said:"We are not making a parallel government. We are just putting pressure on the government on something that the people of India want".
Both the sides have left the issue on the hope that the bill, as they mutually agreed, will be presented in parliament June 30.
"We find fast as an effective way right now. Hunger strike will be continued. Let`s see if it works or not," added Bhushan.
After Hazare`s April 5-9 hunger strike, which evoked wide public support across India, the government set up a 10-member panel - with five representatives each from both sides - to draft an effective Lokpal bill to curb corruption in high places.
The government does not agree with the civil society members` demands that the prime minister and the higher judiciary should be brought within the ambit of the Lokpal.
There are also fundamental differences about the structure of the Lokpal institution and how it should function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi